Veteran Services

Thank you for your service to our country and welcome to North Central Kansas Technical College!  We welcome undergraduate veteran, active duty and reservist students.  VA educational benefits may only be used to accomplish educational objectives defined as the completion of a VA approved degree program at your parent institution.


KanVet provides direct access to State of Kansas veteran-specific resources and benefits without having to navigate multiple state agency websites. NCK Tech is pleased to partner in the KANVET initiative; CLICK HERE to learn more!

To help facilitate your understanding and compliance, NCK Tech has some special services to offer our VA students.


– Credit for educational experience in the Armed Forces
– Transfer credits accepted from other colleges and universities
– Full-time Veteran Services and Financial Aid staff members are available
– A variety of degree programs approved for VA educational benefits

For additional information on Veterans Services, contact:

Darsey Offutt
3033 US Hwy 24
Beloit KS  67420
800-658-4655 or 785-738-9058

NOTICE: The NCK Certifying Official/Registrar is not affiliated with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The Certifying Official is not an advisor for the various VA benefit programs and does not make recommendations or determinations.

To contact the VA directly, call 1-888-442-4551 or email 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Frequently Asked Questions

This is the first time I have used my Veterans’ educational benefits. How do I apply?

If this is the first time you have used your Veterans’ education assistance, you will need to establish your eligibility with the Veterans Administration. You can apply online at Once the VA has processed your application, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. This is your official notification that you are eligible to use your benefits. A copy of the Certificate of Eligibility must be taken to the Registrar’s Office.

I am a new student at NCK Tech but I have used my Veterans’ educational benefits before. What paperwork do I need to complete?

If you have used your educational benefits at another institution, you will need to complete the appropriate VA form Request for Change of Program or Place of Training and submit it to the NCK Registrar. Request for Change of Program or Place of Training application forms are available at or can be obtained in the Certifying Official/Registrar’s office.

If I am a continuing student at NCK Tech, how does my enrollment continue to get certified to the VA?

In order to continue to receive your benefits, you must contact the Registrar. A Certification is sent each semester to the VA for certification.

How much will I be eligible to receive each month?

The VA will determine your payment rate based on the type of benefit you are eligible for and the number of credit hours you are enrolled in. You can check the VA website for basic payment rates at These are basic rates of pay for MGIB, REAP and Dependents Education Assistance and do not include kickers, buy-up or any other additional programs.

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you may receive: A tuition & fees payment paid directly to the college. A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. An annual book stipend paid proportionately based on enrollment is also available. For more information on benefit comparisons go to

How soon will I receive my first payment?

It can take the VA several weeks to process your initial application and anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks to process enrollment certifications. Generally, VA educational benefit payments are made at the end of each month you attend school; for example, if classes start in August and your claim has been completely processed by the VA, the payment for that month will normally be received in the first ten days of September.

Do I need to verify my attendance to the VA?

Students using Chapters 30, 33. 1606 and 1607 must verify their attendance to the VA on the last day of each month. Your payment for that month will not be released until you have verified your attendance. Attendance can be verified online at

Students using Dependents Education Assistance (Chapter 35) are NOT REQUIRED to verify monthly attendance.

Does the GI Bill pay the school directly for my tuition costs?

The only benefit that pays tuition directly to the college is the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

I am an active member of the Reserves or National Guard. How do I apply for Tuition Assistance?

Reserve Service members can apply online at and Guard members can apply online at This program is not administrated by the VA or the NCK Tech Certifying Official/Registrar. If you have questions regarding your eligibility for Tuition Assistance, you will need to contact either your Unit’s Education Services Officer or Commanding Officer. Once you have received your TA approval you will need to submit it to the NCK Tech College Business Office located in the Administration Building.

Does the VA care what classes I take?

Yes, while you are a degree/certificate-seeking student at NCK Tech College, the VA will only allow certification for classes that apply toward your NCK degree/certificate requirements.


Are Veterans benefits available for enrollment in online classes?

Yes – generally enrollment in distance learning classes can be certified to the VA. However, the VA does not allow certification for enrollment in distance learning for remedial classes.