Practical Nursing Program students receive training to perform nursing intervention with precision and efficiency consistent with current evidence-based practices. Nursing professionals provide nursing theory instruction in the classroom, the campus laboratory and at clinical sites. Students obtain extensive clinical experience through hands-on experiential learning. Upon completion of the one-year program, students receive a Practical Nursing Certificate and are prepared for licensure through the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN®).
The graduate of NCKTC’s Practical Nursing Program will complete the objectives identified by the Kansas Core Curriculum. They are:
- Provide nursing care within the scope of the ethical and legal responsibilities of practical nursing.
- Utilized the nursing process to identify basic needs of the client throughout the life span for health promotion and maintenance, or when biological, spiritual, cultural and psychosocial needs are not being met.
- Provide safe and skillful therapeutic care in simple nursing situations based on knowledge of biological, cultural, spiritual, and psychosocial needs of the client throughout the lifespan.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal relationships with the client, the client’s family and the members of the interdisciplinary health care team.
- Demonstrate responsibilities of the practical nurse as an individual who collaborates within the healthcare system and the community.
Admission Requirements and Application Process
Required General Education Classes and Points for Admission
TEAS Entry Testing
This program offers a seamless transition to Fort Hays State University for the following degrees:Health Studies (B.S.)
|Course Code||Course Name||Credits|
|BIOL-230||Anatomy & Physiology w/Lab T▸||5|
|HE-230||Principles of Nutrition T▸||3|
|SS-100||General Psychology T▸||3|
|SS-105||Human Growth and Development T▸||3|
|KSPN-100||Foundations of Nursing||4|
|KSPN-102||Nursing Care of Adults I||5|
|KSPN-115||Foundations of Nursing Clinical||2|
|KSPN-110||Nursing Care of Adults I Clinical||3|
|KSPN-103||Fundamentals of Pharmacology & Safe Med Adm||2|
|PN-102||Strategies for Success||1|
|KSPN-104||Nursing Care of Adults II||5|
|KSPN-108||Maternal Child Nursing||2|
|KSPN-111||Nursing Care of Adults II Clinical||3|
|KSPN-114||Care of Aging Adults||2|
|KSPN-118||Maternal Child Nursing Clinical||1|
|KSPN-120||Mental Health Nursing||2|
|KSPN-113||Leadership Roles and Issues||1|
|PN-109||Pharmacology for the PN||1|
T▸ - Course eligible for transfer to a state university.